The Visiting Associate Program at Centre for Korean Research, IAR, generates the following benefits:
- Networking with Korean academics in a range of disciplines.
- Creating educational opportunities for graduate students and undergraduate students by having leading specialists of their fields available for graduate advising and guest lectures.
- Providing the opportunity for collaborative research projects and grant applications among faculty.
- Outreach to the community
Academics who possess a PhD and hold a teaching or research position at an academic institution at the time of application are eligible to apply. In exceptional circumstances, specialists from non-academic institutions, e.g., journalists, government officials, and researchers in private institutes at the time of application, can also be accepted.
3. Terms and Conditions
- CKR Participation: Visiting Associates should participate in seminars and other events organized by the CKR, and are also encouraged to participate in other events around the IAR and the UBC campus.
- Working paper: All Visiting Associates will be required to submit a Working paper in English (double-spaced, around 8,000 words or longer) prior to the end of their term as Visiting Associate.
- Residency requirement: As this is a residential appointment, residence in Greater Vancouver for the duration of the appointment is required.
- Traveling outside of Canada: Trips back to Korea or to anywhere outside of Canada with duration of more than two weeks require prior notification to and approval from the CKR Director.
- Fees: For academics who possess a PhD and hold a teaching or research position at an academic institution, a non-refundable application fee of CAD $500 is payable upon submission of application. Visiting Scholars from institutions with an official partnership agreement with UBC are required to pay an additional $3,200 upon acceptance. Visiting Scholars from institutions with no official partnership agreement with UBC are required to pay an additional $4,200 upon acceptance. Visiting Scholars from non-academic institutions, e.g., journalists, government officials, and researchers at private institutes, are required to pay an additional $5,700 upon acceptance.
- Visiting Scholar Fee Breakdown
- Application Fee – CAD $500
- IAR Appointment Fee – CAD $1000
- IAR Monthly Fee – CAD $1200 ($100/month x 12)
- CKR VS Fee – CAD $1000 (VS with Official Partnership) / CAD $2000 (VS without Partnership) / CAD $3500 (VS from non-academic inst.)
- Each Visiting Associate will be given a library card, but no office space.
- Any violations of these terms may result in the cessation of the Visiting Associate appointment.
4. Application Procedures
Applications should include:
- A cover letter
- A research proposal that includes research title and an abstract of the proposed research in the length of 300-500 words. This should include a rationale for why this research should be conducted or written up at UBC.
- Curriculum Vitae (English and Korean)
- A letter from the president, faculty dean, or department head confirming that the Visiting Associate will be on leave for the duration of the appointment term as Visiting Associate. Be sure that the letter clearly shows the exact date (Aug. 1-Jul. 31 or Feb. 1-Jan. 31).
- A wire transfer receipt of the application fee. The non-refundable application fee of CAD $500 must be made by wire transfer to “The University of British Columbia”. Detailed wire transfer instructions will be sent to your email address upon receiving documents 1-4 via email. To ensure there is no deficiency with your payment, please pay any charges related to the wire transfer. No application will be considered if proof of payment (wire transfer receipt) is not provided with the hard copies.
- A document that includes information of the applicant (name, birth date, passport number), address, duration of visit (beginning year/month/day – ending year/month/day), and accompanying family members (names, birth dates, passport numbers, as well as their relationship to the applicant, for example, spouse, son, daughter, etc). Please note that names and address should be written in both English and Korean. **Do not send by email
- A scanned file of the first page of your passport **Do not send by email
Please send the documents 1-4 via email first. Once we receive your email, we will send you the wire transfer instructions and a link to securely upload documents 6 and 7. Upon completion of the wire transfer, please send the hard copies of 1-7 by mail. Please also send us a confirmation email after uploading the documents.
The CKR reviews all applications twice a year. The application deadlines are July 31 and January 31.
The CKR also holds two Visiting Scholar appointment periods that start on August 1, ending July 31 of the following year, or that start on February 1, ending January 31 of the following year.
(1) Email attachment: CKR.Director@ubc.ca
(2) Mailing Address:
The Centre for Korean Research
251 – 1855 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2
UBC 한국학연구소의 방문학자 프로그램에 지원하기를 원하시는 분은 다음의 서류를 모두 영문으로 작성하여 보내시기 바랍니다.
- 연구계획서: 연구제목 및 연구의 개요를 영문 300-500단어의 분량으로 작성하시고 그 연구가 왜 UBC에서 행해져야 하는지에 대한 설명을 첨부해주시기 바랍니다.
- 이력 및 연구 업적서: 1-3 페이지 분량. (한글과 영문)
- 안식년 확인서: 방문학자기간 동안 한국의 직장으로부터 안식년을 받았다는 학과장이나 학장, 또는 기관장의 확인편지를 보내주시고 반드시 방문학자 프로그램 일정과 동일한 날짜를 명시해 주시기 바랍니다. (8월 1일 – 7월 31일, 혹은 2월 1일 – 1월 31일)
- 신청비(캐나다 달러 500불)에 대한 해외 송금 영수증: 1번부터 4번까지의 서류를 이메일에 첨부하여 보내주시면 해외 송금에 관한 세부사항을 이메일로 보내드립니다. 이 방법에 맞추어 $500(환불불가)을 송금해 주시기 바랍니다. 해외송금시 추가비용으로 인하여 신청비가 부족한 상황이 발생치 않도록 부탁드립니다. 해외송금시 발생하는 추가비용은 모두 본인이 부담하셔야 합니다. 신청비를 받지 못한 신청서는 심사 진행이 불가하니 참고해주시기 바랍니다.
- 인적사항: 방문학자의 이름 (한글 및 영문을 반드시 명기), 생년월일, 주소 (한글 및 영문을 반드시 명기), 이메일주소, 방문기간 (시작년월일 – 종료년월일), 여권번호, 및 동반가족의 인적사항 (이름 [한글및영문], 생년월일, 여권번호, 방문학자와의 관계) 을 함께 명기해주시길 바랍니다. **이메일로 보내지 마십시오.
- 방문학자의 여권 첫장 스캔본. **이메일로 보내지 마십시오.
우선적으로 1-4까지의 서류를 이메일에 첨부하여 보내주시기 바랍니다. 이후 저희가 해외 송금 방법 및 6-7서류를 안전하게 업로드 할 수 있는 링크를 이메일로 보내드리겠습니다. 해외 송금을 완료하신 뒤, 1-7의 모든 서류를 우편으로 보내주시기 바랍니다. 인적사항 및 여권 스캔본을 업로드 하신 뒤 저희에게 이메일로 알려주시기 바랍니다.
UBC 한국학 연구소 방문학자 프로그램은 매년 두차례 지원서류를 받고 있습니다. 지원 마감일은 각각 7월 31일과 1월 31일 입니다.
방문학자 프로그램의 방문 기간은 2월 1일부터 다음해 1월 31일까지, 8월 1일부터 다음해 7월 31일까지 입니다.
Those who are invited to visit the CKR are required to report to the Centre (with a letter confirming sabbatical leave) and the Institute of Asian Research (IAR) upon their arrival during business hours to process the necessary paperwork.
5. CKR Faculty Sponsor
A CKR faculty member must agree to sponsor the applicant for Visiting Associate status, and the applicant must submit evidence of prior agreement from the UBC faculty sponsor at the time of application. The CKR faculty sponsor will meet with the Visiting Associate on a regular basis and the Visiting Associate will work in cooperation with his/her faculty sponsor.
Even if we issue you an invitation to come to UBC as a Visiting Associate, we regret that we are unable to assist you with housing. We advise you to first contact UBC Housing directly regarding Visiting Associate housing, as there are often waiting lists. We would also encourage you to contact current Visiting Associates for information, and to check with the Vancouver Sun as well as with local Korean-language newspapers for rental housing.