The Visiting Associate Program at Centre for Korean Research, IAR, generates the following benefits:
- Networking with Korean academics in a range of disciplines and professionals in fields such as journalism, law, and public service.
- Creating educational opportunities for graduate students and undergraduate students by having leading specialists of their fields available for graduate advising and guest lectures.
- Providing the opportunity for collaborative research projects and grant applications among faculty.
- Outreach to the community
2. Terms and Conditions
- Appointment Term: one year
- CKR Participation: Visiting Associates should participate in seminars and other events organized by the CKR, and are also encouraged to participate in other events around the IAR and the UBC campus.
- Working paper: All Visiting Associates will be required to submit a Working paper in English (double-spaced, around 8,000 words or longer) prior to the end of their term as Visiting Associate.
- Residency requirement: As this is a residential appointment, residence in Greater Vancouver for the duration of the appointment is required.
- Traveling outside of Canada: Trips back to Korea or to anywhere outside of Canada with duration of more than two weeks require prior notification to and approval from the CKR Director.
- Annual fee: For academics who possess a PhD and hold a teaching or research position at an academic institution, the fee of $5,000 is payable upon acceptance. Visiting Scholars from non-academic institutions, e.g., journalists, government officials, and researchers at private institutes, the fee is $10,000. This is a non-refundable one-time fee that will be used to cover administrative overhead.
- Each Visiting Associate will be given a library card, but no office space.
- Any violations of these terms may result in the cessation of the Visiting Associate appointment.
3. Application Procedures
Applications should include:
- A cover letter that includes information on the applicant (name, birth date and passport number), duration of visit (beginning year/month/day – ending year/month/day) and accompanying family members (names, birth dates, passport number, as well as their relationship to the applicant, for example, spouse, son, daughter, etc).
- A research proposal that includes research title and an abstract of the proposed research in the length of 300-500 words. This should include a rationale for why this research should be conducted or written up at UBC.
- Curriculum Vitae
- A letter from the president, faculty dean, or department head confirming that the Visiting Associate will be on leave for the duration of the appointment term as Visiting Associate.
- A non-refundable application fee of CAD $300. Make a money order in Canadian dollars, payable to “Institute of Asian Research”, and please send it with the application. No application will be considered if this fee is not paid.
- A scanned file of the first page of your passport.
The CKR reviews all applications twice a year. The application deadlines are August 15 and February 15.
The CKR also holds two Visiting Scholar appointment periods that start on August 1, ending July 31 of the following year, or that start on February 1, ending January 31 of the following year.
(1) Email attachment: email@example.com
(2) Mailing Address:
The Centre for Korean Research
251 – 1855 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2
UBC 한국학연구소의 방문학자 프로그램에 지원하기를 원하시는 분은 다음의 서류를 모두 영문으로 작성하여 보내시기 바랍니다.
- 커버레터: 본편지에는 방문학자의 이름 (한글 및 영문을 반드시 명기), 주소(한글 및 영문을 반드시 명기), 이메일주소, 방문기간 (시작년월일 – 종료년월일), 그리고 동반가족의 인적사항 (이름 [한글및영문],생년월일, 여권번호)를 명기.
- 연구계획서: 연구제목 및 연구의개요를 영문 300-500단어의 분량으로 작성. 그리고 그 연구가왜 UBC에서 행해져야 하는지에 대한 설명첨부.
- 이력 및 연구업적서: 1-3 페이지 분량.
- 안식년 확인서: 방문학자기간 동안 한국의 직장으로부터 안식년을 받았다는 학과장이나 학장, 또는 기관장의 확인편지를 보내주시고 정확한 날짜를 함께 명시해 주시기 바랍니다.
- 신청비 CAD $300. 신청서류를 우편으로 발송시 캐나다달러 Money Order 300불을 함께 동봉해 주시고예금주명에 “Institute of Asian Research”로 명기해 주시기 바랍니다. 신청비를 보내지 않으시면 신청서를심사하지 않습니다.
- 방문학자의 여권 첫장 스캔본.
모든 신청서는 이메일로 전서류를 첨부로 보내고, 동시에 동일서류를 우편으로 보내시기 바랍니다.
Those who are invited to visit the CKR are required to report to the Centre (with a letter confirming sabbatical leave) and the Institute of Asian Research (IAR) upon their arrival during business hours to process the necessary paperwork.
4. CKR Faculty Sponsor
(a) A CKR faculty member must agree to sponsor the applicant for Visiting Associate status.
(b) The CKR faculty sponsor will meet with the Visiting Associate on a regular basis and the Visiting Associate will work in cooperation with his/her faculty sponsor.
Even if we issue you an invitation to come to UBC as a Visiting Associate, we regret that we are unable to assist you with housing. We advise you to first contact UBC Housing directly regarding Visiting Associate housing, as there are often waiting lists. We would also encourage you to contact current Visiting Associates for information, and to check with the Vancouver Sun as well as with local Korean-language newspapers for rental housing.